Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ode to the Temescal Farmer's Market

I'll admit it -- I'm obsessed with the Temescal Farmer's Market. Every Sunday I look forward to my amazing (mostly organic) produce haul. I almost feel bad singling any specific farms out from the amazing mix of farmers and vendors, but right now I'm sitting in my apartment trying to decide if it makes sense to eat a full week's worth of food at once and I have to give credit where credit is due.

First of all, Happy Boy Farms. You can't see much (except for their adorable graphic design) at the website right now, but every week I stop and buy something here. The bag of mixed salad greens with edible flowers is a favorite at Casa de Rattlesnake Master, as are the spicy radishes and picture-perfect herbs. Not to mention that the adorable signs have convinced me to try several new varieties of squash, all of which are delicious. If vegetables were people, squash would be the boyfriend who likes to cuddle and always makes you dinner. Don't ask me why.

Another Sunday must is the Glaum eggs stand. These eggs are so incredible, they make me want to learn egg tempera painting so I can make a shrine to them. The shells crack like porcelain, and the yolks are almost the color of orange juice. I cannot say enough how much I like to eat these eggs. I bought two dozen this week, just because we never seem to have any left by the end of the week.

The Catalan Family Farm is great because they have a little bit of everything, but it's the onions that bring me back.  They feel heavy for their size, and they make me cry less than other onions.  I'm not sure what it is, but they're a pleasure to hold, cut, and eat. They're basically the triple-threat of onions and I can't get enough.

Am I snubbing the other farms? I hope not, because I've certainly gotten my share of delicious carrots, fennel, blood oranges, dried pears, pretzel croissants, salami and walnuts from any number of other stands. But these three farms... I can't write ballads or love songs, so I just have to blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment